The Communal Aspects of Balik Kampung
Hari Raya Aidilfitri, the Festival of the Breaking of the Fast, is a religious holiday celebrated by Muslims that marks the end of the Islamic holy month of dawn-to-sunset fasting.
Many city folks return to their hometown (balik kampung) to celebrate this festive moment with their families and loved ones.
Top 10 Tips For A Smooth Balik Kampung Journey Home
1. Motorists taking the North South Highway (PLUS) are advised to follow the Travel Time Advisory. Generally those who are heading south are advised to enter the highway as early as 6AM to 1PM while those going up north are advised to depart from 1PM onwards.
2. PLUS will be offering toll rebates to those travelling more than 100 kilometres on the PLUS highways and paying toll electronically via PLUSMiles and Touch ‘n Go card or SmartTAGs. The toll rebate will be given to Class 1 Vehicle users on Off-Peak Days in conjunction with the Hari Raya.
- 50% toll rebate on 13 and 23 July
- 40% toll rebate on 14 and 22 July
- 30% toll rebate on 15 and 21 July
For details, please contact PLUSLine at 1800 88 0000.
3. Download the Plus Expressway Mobile app which gives you live traffic info, alerts, highway video feeds and R&R stop information.
4. Download Waze for user generated traffic info and alerts on what’s happening on the road. It is available on Android, iOS and Windows Phone platform. For Hotlink users without data, there’s a Waze only add-on plan for just a small fee per day.
5. Get your car serviced at least 1 week before travelling to ensure it is in tip-top condition for your journey home!
6. Stock up with snacks and water to make sure that no one goes hungry or thirsty during the long ride home, especially if you run into traffic.
7. Take regular breaks and swap drivers every hour or two if possible. This will prevent driver fatigue and any mishaps that may occur from this.
8. Entertain the kids! Ensure that all electronic gadgets are fully charged and bring little presents such as action figures, stuffed toys, crayons & paper to reward good behavior.
9. Stay in touch. Make sure to give regular updates on your journey to family back in the kampung so they know when to expect your safe arrival
10. Last but not least, stay protected! Make sure you have adequate travel and car insurance. And if you have valuables at home, make sure to purchase home & contents insurance as well!